Monday, December 9, 2013

'Flip' Diaper Inserts - Tutorial

I had a terrible time making my own inserts for my Flip diaper covers!  I've made wedding gowns, slipcovers, draperies and more, but these silly inserts had me in a sweat and seriously doubting my sewing abilities!

Ultimately, the issue was that my serger will not handle multiple layers of microfiber.  This fabric seems to stick on the machine and the needle.  With only one layer of microfiber and one layer of some sort of fleece I finally found success.

So, in case this is helpful to anyone out there, I decided to give a quick picture tutorial on how I finally managed to sew these things:

1.  Cut one piece of microfiber towel to finished size.  Cut two pieces of microfiber towel about 3/4" smaller all around.
(I used a Flip insert to determine the size and then flared the back a bit wider to have less of the PUL on the cover against baby's bottom.)

2. Use a wide, long zig-zag stitch and a walking foot to attach the inner microfiber soaker layers to the back microfiber piece.

3. Sandwich wicking layer on top of the microfiber piece.  I used a soft cuddly minky print.  It was not wicking at first - actually totally repelled liquid!  Disaster...  Thankfully it wicked after several washes!  I recommend that you research your fabrics and test them first!

4. Pin.

5. Serge around edges and weave in the serger tail.

All Done!

Incidentally, I am very happy with the Flip covers and their inserts, as well as the inserts I made.  I've been using them all for about five months now.  I did have the PUL on most of my covers break down after three months, but customer service was great!  They replaced the damaged covers and talked through my cleaning process to figure out why I had this issue.  Apparently hanging them outside for hours on hot summer days, even sheltered from sun, is hard on the fabric.  So I dry them indoors now, or for a very limited time outside.

No comments: