Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Wedding Gown - Part Three

The bodice is nearly finished and is a blank canvas awaiting lace!

A close-up of the inside neck edge, showing the bound armscye seam, and the satin facing that I used to finish the neckline.

Back, with lace pinned in place to hand stitch, and button loops.
Bodice front, ready for hand work.
It's finally looking like a dress! Finish work still to do, lace at the waistline, and flowers and rhinestones!

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Soup

This soup was perfect for lunch with fresh baked bread, on a cold winter day!
Broccoli Cheese Soup

1/4 cup Butter
1 half Onion, chopped
2 cloves Garlic, minced
Broccoli for 4 servings
32 oz. Chicken Broth
1/2 lb. Shredded Cheese
1 cup Milk
1/3 cup Cornstarch
1/2 cup Water
Salt to taste
Cayenne Pepper to taste


  • In a medium size pot, melt butter over medium heat. Cook onion and garlic in butter until softened.
  • Stir in broccoli, and cover with chicken broth. Simmer until broccoli is tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Reduce heat, mix in milk.
  • In a small bowl, stir cornstarch into water until dissolved. Stir into soup; cook, stirring frequently, until thick.
  • Add shredded cheese, heat and stir until melted and combined. Add salt and cayenne.


This recipe is adapted from Allrecipes.com


Sunday, December 18, 2011

Wedding Gown - Part Two

Bodice front, inside, showing twill underlining, boning casings:
A completed sleeve.
The back, inside view:
And the bodice pieces ready to assemble and try on.
This was just before realizing that my carefully planned and fitted pattern was not going to smooth out along the side bust, after assembly, as I had counted on... Well, the challenges and problem solving are one of the reasons I enjoy sewing, so back to the pattern! Thankfully I had enough satin and underlining to cut a new front after resolving the problem and carefully picking apart the existing pieces. I ended up converting the center-most waist darts and the side bust darts into a princess seam, and leaving the second waist dart as a design feature and another place to fit the waist area. It was worth the extra effort, to be pleased with the end result! Next is fun detail work:
A pile of satin covered, fabric backed buttons, button looping, boning, lace, and horsehair braid!